Friday, May 6, 2011

Chloe

Chloe is my roommate. She was one of the first people I talked to from The Hill School. She left a message on my phone and told me that she lived in Connecticut, her favorite color was pink, and she had a fish named Jeremy. We became instant best friends. She was crazy and fun and the complete opposite of me. Listening to rap music in our room, she told me that Eminem was the one person who had figured out the meaning of life. She taught my little Catholic self curse words and helped me make friends. She was mysterious and almost etherial. Chloe had a boyfriend, and several boys in line to be the next “Chloe’s boyfriend”. It was an adventure to be her roommate, because none of my relationships was anything like hers.

First there was Matthew. Matthew and Chloe had been dating for almost a year. He was from her old school. He called the room at 7:30 every night and they spoke about mushy things for a while until it was time to sleep. Chloe said they were in love. She would scribble her math homework and giggle at things he said. From my side of the room it all seemed so unreal. The only person who called me that often was my mother. It seemed too good to be true.

It was. It was a Friday night the first time that they had a blow up. I walked into the room to see chloe crying and calling Matt. It was all to no avail, he wouldn’t pick up. She turned to me, but wouldn’t tell me what happened. “We just need to talk about it,” she told me, a pleading look in her eyes. “We can’t go to sleep angry at each other.” She looked desperate and heartbroken and I didn’t know what to do. She wouldn’t stop dialing his number, she left a few messages. I sat with her and hugged her and tried my best to make her feel better. I thought Matthew was gone for good, but he would come back with a vengeance. What really happened between them is another story for another time. But that first break up was when me and Chloe really started to be friends outside of our room and she also started hanging out with me, Perri, and Sara.

Love,
Melly